Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Night of Hekate

WHEN?:: Sunset 16th to Sunrise 17th


WHAT??:: This is the night when Hekate roams the Earth with her hounds. It is also the night when new initiations are made for Witches who are called to her service or wish to follow her. A traditional offering to Her, also called Hekate's Supper, is honey left on the doorstep in a small bowl. Hekate then blesses those inside. Hekate's Supper was also held at crossroads and She is known as the Goddess of Crossroads.

Hekate, the ancient Greek name for the Triple-Moon Goddess, traditionally represented the three aspects of women: Maiden, Mother, Crone, signifying mind, body, spirit, and birth, life, death. She is now best known in her Crone aspect, represented by the Dark Moon. She is often seen holding a lit torch (enlightenment, wisdom, clarity of vision), keys (knowledge, unlocking the mysteries), and a rope, reminding us to be free of slavery and also the cord of rebirth. Her Sacred Hounds represent protection. Snakes symbolize wisdom and knowledge, especially of the healing arts, as well as the art of prophecy.

She continues to be known as the liberator of women. She is a mighty Goddess and one whose strength can be a model for our lives today, especially as we are Gathering the Women to Sisterhood, and strive to dismantle patriarchy.

WHERE??:: EVERYWHERE!! 



Attend event HERE





So yeah..I plan on making arrangements to do this. I think I need it. Funny how this came along it seems just at the right time huh?


Here's some places for you to learn about Hecate!!


Wikipedia


Encyclopedia Mythica


Hecates Cauldron


The Crone of Tuna Sandwiches (it's what's for dinner)


Sage

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Why was I under the impression that her name was "HecTate?" I could have sworn that it was spelled this way in Macbeth, but I just looked it up, and I was mistaken. Is this one version of her name, or am I completely insane?

Sage said...

They mispronounce it on TV all the time..I've heard it said Hectate a lot. Maybe that's where you got it from. I know I thought the same thing at one time.

The "H" is silent.."eck-ate" or even 'eck-at-ee'. IT has a few spellings..Hekate, Hecate..

Ashley said...

Maybe. I know they say "Hectate" on the reanimation incantation from Practical Magic. I just can't believe I've glossed over the fact that there's no extra "t" there all these years. I also had no idea the "h" was silent. This is almost like the day I found out I'd been mispelling "marshmallow" my whole life.

They ALL live at my house!!

They ALL live at my house!!